Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Lighting...well MORE lighting...

Recently our longarm manufacturer came out with a new lighting assembly. A very good one I might add. Which brought to the longarming process 'LED' lighting. Something I'm very familiar with having at least four or five LED flashlignts in the 1200+ Lumen Range laying around...in the house, motorcycle, quilting tool belt, car...well you get the picture. Well with the manufacturer coming out with this light let's just say a light went off in my head...intended. Now don't get me wrong...the light that came with the unit and the additional lighting we added to the room is really sufficient...more than sufficient in our case...but there are times when I would like to have a little extra light on the work area. Unfortunately the work area is not always 'under or near' the needle...which is where this new light is directed. Sometimes you just might have to move the head out of the way and take out threads.

So I'm thinking...more light, LED light...what a great idea. Wish I'd thought of that. So although it would be nice on occasion to have extra lighting on the work area, and sometimes away from the needle the $189 price tag...well it freaked me out.

Hello Amazon. Flashlight, adjustable holder, batteries (four) and charger. All under $40.


This particular light is 1600 Lumens. It utilizes two Panasonic 18650 batteries (protected), will burn up to 4+ hours. I always have two in the charger and swap out regularly. Which in reality is like once or twice a week. I don't use it for all work...not necessary. 

But when you need some extra lighting...this is it. You will hear 'without' shadows. Well don't be fooled by that. If there is any other light source in the room, left of you, right of you even in front, behind or above you, there will be shadows. In the case of the pictures below the LED enhances the shadow...I'm working left to right, the shadow is not a problem...if I were going right to left...I'd move the flashlight to the other side if I needed enhanced lighting. 


Work area without LED lighting...I'm wondering how much lighting do we need???

Work area with LED lighting...and in this case it can be directed to where ever I need the extra lighting...and it is not always in the vicinity of the needle...unfortunately. 

So as well made and as much as it may enhance the work area around the needle I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on the $189 light system. But I am grateful for it's creation. I would have never searched for a holder to attach to our longarm otherwise. 

Let there be light!!!



Quilt till you wilt...we do...

No comments:

Post a Comment